Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Multiple spaces in recordings

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 3/26/2019 9:33 AM, wrote:
there can be "multiple spaces in real life.

Again
sources close to you lack reverberation.
source far from you are reverberate.

If you're making an orchestral recording from the conductor's position,
differences in reverberation applied to spot mics over different
sections can be different, but not very different, because most of the
natural reverberation comes from the hall. And if you're making your
recording from the audience position, you'll want everything to have
pretty much the same reverb to avoid a confusing sound stage - the sort
of thing that Adrian hates.

This was recorded at a rehearsal* and the overall sound picture is the
one you would ideally get from a short distance above and behind the
conductor's head. As a mic could not be placed at that position because
it was obscured by a heavy overhanging balcony, some trickery was
involved, but I hope it is not too obvious. There was no artificial
reverb, no multi-tracking (other than the two stereo tracks) and no
post-production other than editing out a few starts and stops.

http://www.poppyrecords.co.uk/BSBf/P...Dances0286.mp3

*There are a few extraneous noises and bum notes - and I was fiddling
with the levels because this was the first time they had rehearsed this
piece with percussion

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk