Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default Surround Sound

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 6:20:26 AM UTC-7, Bob Lombard wrote:
On 11/1/2013 5:40 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:

On Friday, November 1, 2013 6:34:51 AM UTC-7, Bob Lombard wrote:

On 10/31/2013 6:49 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:10:11 AM UTC-7, Scott wrote:

You can not accurately reproduce an original sound field other than to accurately reproduce the original event in the original space.

Isn't that sort of like saying that in order to "reproduce" an original sound field, one would need an

infinite number of channels? I believe that Bell Labs came to that conclusion back in the 1930's.

Bell Labs in the 1930s? How much to their opinions on technology have

to do with the 2nd decade of the 21st C.?

Yep, I'm suggesting that reactionary thinking may be present here.

You are joking, right, Bob? The principles of acoustics and music reproduction haven't changed at all in the ensuing years, just the technology used to capture and reproduce music. After all, it was Bell Labs in the 1930's who came-up with the model for two-channel stereo that we still use today..

The 'principles' of acoustics haven't changed, but the technology has

I think I said that.... Didn't I?

made things possible now that weren't in the 30s. This may be the wrong
forum to mention Dolby Pro Logic... but I did anyway.

Well, it's not the wrong forum to mention Dolby Pro Logic, it is irrelevant to the discussion
however.