Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Surround Sound

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 6:20:26 AM UTC-7, Bob Lombard wrote:
On 11/1/2013 5:40 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:
=20
On Friday, November 1, 2013 6:34:51 AM UTC-7, Bob Lombard wrote:

=20
On 10/31/2013 6:49 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:

=20

=20
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:10:11 AM UTC-7, Scott wrote:

=20
You can not accurately reproduce an original sound field other than =

to accurately reproduce the original event in the original space.
=20
Isn't that sort of like saying that in order to "reproduce" an origin=

al sound field, one would need an
=20
infinite number of channels? I believe that Bell Labs came to that co=

nclusion back in the 1930's.
=20

=20

=20
Bell Labs in the 1930s? How much to their opinions on technology have

=20

=20
to do with the 2nd decade of the 21st C.?

=20

=20

=20

=20
Yep, I'm suggesting that reactionary thinking may be present here.

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20
You are joking, right, Bob? The principles of acoustics and music repro=

duction haven't changed at all in the ensuing years, just the technology us=
ed to capture and reproduce music. After all, it was Bell Labs in the 1930'=
s who came-up with the model for two-channel stereo that we still use today=
..
=20
The 'principles' of acoustics haven't changed, but the technology has=20
=20
made things possible now that weren't in the 30s. This may be the wrong=

=20
=20
forum to mention Dolby Pro Logic... but I did anyway.
=20
=20
=20
bl
=20
=20
=20
---
=20
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus prot=

ection is active.
=20

I think you may be missing the point. the research done by Bell Labs and Bl=
umlein was what set the whole idea of stereo recording and playback in moti=
on. The technology you speak of does not change the fact. It's all still bu=
ilt on the principles that research discovered. No one has invented any new=
technology that has allowed us to literally recreate an original sound fie=
ld. All that technology you are referring to has been designed and built to=
work with the principles of stereo recording as established by Bell Labs a=
nd Blumlein. No technology so far has made anything possible that the resea=
rch back then did not already determine was possible and not possible when =
it comes to literally reproducing original sound fields.