Nousaine

Default science vs. pseudo-science

(Audio Guy)
wrote:

In article ZG%bb.416971$Oz4.206670@rwcrnsc54,
(ludovic mirabel) writes:
(Audio Guy) wrote in message
news:P7Fbb.406164$Oz4.197010@rwcrnsc54...
In article ,
(ludovic mirabel) writes:

Something else started being called "DBT" which out of courtesy
I will call "DBT" 3.- suggested for comparing components;

Please, if nothing else, the test under discussion is most definitely
a "double blind test". You may not agree with the results, but it is
most certainly a DBT under every definition I am aware of. Talk about
your strawmen.

Double Blind it is. "Test" it is not. A test by definition has to
be replicable by the test subjects who are its constituency: ie a
motley crew of "audiophiles" from the car boom- box enthusiasts to
middle aged chamber music lovers. Individual performances differ
widely as reflected in the reports of ALL of the existing "listening
tests". Providence arranged that our results, yours and mine, are not
transferable. That is the kind of test it is when you force it onto
inappropriate topics like COMPARING COMPONENTS.
Try again.

I think it is you that needs to try again. How is it not a "test"?
And how is it not replicable? Just because you say so? So one could
not take the same people who were in a specific DBT and get the same
results a second time? Is that not the definition of "replicable"?

And why would you include "car boom-box enthusiasts" in your
definition of an audiophile? I certainly wouldn't include them
myself. Must you again stretch the meanings of commonly understood
terms just to be able to prove your point?

That term is meant as a put-down but there are some very good high-fidelity
reasons that the vehicle can be a very good place to enjoy recorded music and
other programs which are often overlooked because of the inherent noise
problems.

To begin there are some very quiet vehicles and most are becoming quieter every
year. That notwithstanding; autosound gives one the ability to develop
realistic loudness levels with moderate amplifier and speaker displacement
which are often unattainable in many home systems. From a system design
standpoint the fixed listening position can be seen as a big improvement.
Seating may not be centerline but it will be known in advance.

And the big break is what I call "Free Bass." A single long stroke 10-inch
woofer in a 0.75 ft3 enclosure can generate 120 dB SPL at 10 Hz with reasonably
low distortion in a subcompact sized vehicle. This level of low frequency
output allows users to experience organ and other classical recordings with
full dynamics; something only a few home subwoofer systems are truly capable
of.

Further autosound gives us the ability to enjoy high-fi while held captive on
the 1-2 hours a day that many folks commit to commuting.

I've professionally evaluated over 400 OEM prototype and production autosound
systems in the past 5 years and the best ones are better than 95% of the home
audio systems I've heard over my 300 years as an enthusiast.