Ivan Lopez

Default Amps, more argument!

I know everyone is talking about subs...but....
Isn't clipping bad for tweeters in a passive crossover arrangement?

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Mark Zarella" pam wrote:

If I had four Memphis Belle MC1300D's, I'd still clip them without

damaging my
subs.

No way, man! Clipping blows speakers!

Too much power blows speakers. Technically, especially woofers where
impedance
rises quickly at higher frequencies, it doesn't matter if the incoming
signal
is "clipped" or not.

Too much power for too long damages woofers. It is true that sustained
clipping
raises the average power level delivered and can cause failure but unless
the
amplifier has enough basic energy capability clipping may have little impact
of
failure. For example a 5000 watt Crown Macro-Tech has enough capability to
eventually fry an expensive 15-inch woofer even using a clean signal while a
Bryston 2B (100 x 2 watts in to 4-ohms) driven into hard clipping for a long
period may not even cause the speaker to blink.

So the clipping and correlated under-powering conventional wisdom needs to
be
considered with understanding.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (