Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Ping-pong stereo

On 11/13/2014 10:06 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Neil Gould wrote:
This is a good example of what I was trying to explain to Gary. There
are drivers (not just tweeters, btw) whose radiation pattern is
well-suited to smaller spaces. Speaker enclosures designed with such
drivers can present a stereo sound field that is not sensitive to the
position of the listener.

I've yet to hear any pair of stereo speakers where the position of the
listener isn't sensitive. Of course, some are more so than others.

Precisely. But it's more the room that makes for this than the speakers,
even though the speakers are implicated.
--scott

I don't think it's useful to talk about these things generically, as
though all speakers will exhibit directionality that makes listener
position critical in any given room. Ideally, they should be matched,
meaning that the characteristics of the driver/enclosure are compatible
with the room. It's challenging to do this with "off-the-shelf" items,
but that is not the context of my response to Gary. I was speaking
specifically about custom-designed speaker systems, since that was what
he presented.

--
best regards,

Neil