Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Ping-pong stereo

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Neil Gould wrote:
This is a good example of what I was trying to explain to Gary. There
are drivers (not just tweeters, btw) whose radiation pattern is
well-suited to smaller spaces. Speaker enclosures designed with such
drivers can present a stereo sound field that is not sensitive to the
position of the listener.

I've yet to hear any pair of stereo speakers where the position of the
listener isn't sensitive. Of course, some are more so than others.

Precisely. But it's more the room that makes for this than the speakers,
even though the speakers are implicated.

Absolutely. I'm often amazed at the huge sums people spend on speakers for
use in a room with terrible acoustics.

Average speakers in a decent room can give a magical image.

The very finest speakers in a poor room will still give a poor image.

I dunno what the current fashion is in the US, but in the UK it seems to
be 'minimalist' with bare wood floors and no drapes. No use for listening
in, no matter how 'pretty'.

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Dave Plowman London SW