Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Ping-pong stereo

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Neil, we all know that the radiation pattern of most speakers varies
as frequency increases, but the devotees of the direct sound type of
reproduction advocate sound absorbing materials to kill most
reflections around the speakers. Also, it is mainly in the mid and
high frequencies that imaging happens.

Two different matters, here. The radiation pattern of individual drivers
varies at different frequencies, but that is not the issue; it's the
radiation pattern of the speaker system that affects the "directionality"
of
playback. If the speakers are well designed and well matched to the room,
varying frequencies should not audibly impact dispersion. IOW, things
shouldn't seem to move about just because the frequencies change.

Not sure what you are referring to here. My system does not change
dispersion or spatial characteristics as frequency rises. I think that most
direct radiators do, however.

On the obviously audible
difference between speakers with "appropriate" dispersion with multi
directionals, what do you hear as some of those differences?

Basically, the artifacts that I spoke of in my first question to you that
are the result of multiple drivers covering the same frequency range. I'd
call it a reduction of clarity.

You mean (on mine) having four faces of MTM drivers?

What is appropriate dispersion?

One where the speaker systems' angle of radiation and amount of projection
are well-suited to the dimensions of the room.

The geometry of all rectngular rooms is the same at the speaker end. is
pretty much the same. So how or why would dispersion requirements change
with size of room? I agree that the criticality of the dispersion pattern
gets less and less as size increases, but I am talking about mainly small
room acoustics. In that case, we are too close to the speakers, so the D/R
ratio must change.

Gary