Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Ping-pong stereo

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message ...

William, to say that I have a major misunderstanding of what audio
reproduction is all about is just a little too glib to let you get away
with. I could say the exact same thing to you and it would get us nowhere.

You are always telling me that the way to do research is to ask the right
questions. Well, some 30 years ago I began asking myself what should the
model, or paradigm, for stereo reproduction be?

The reproduction of all (or most) of the directional characteristics of
original sound comes to mind.

Around 4 years ago Siegfried Linkwitz asked similar questions of the
entire AES, in a letter called The Linkwitz Challenge. The questions were,
what should the ideal radiation pattern, room positioning, and acoustical
qualities be for speakers and rooms?

For what sort of recording? You can't specify the playback unless you specify
the recording technique. And what makes a particular pattern, room position
(etc) "ideal" -- that is, what are the criteria against which idealness is
judged?

I answered those questions both in the Challenge blind testing and now at my
home with my new speakers, made a lot better than my Challenge prototypes
and with a variable radiation pattern in my somewhat ideal 21 x 31 ft
listening room.

The correct questions were posed -- and largely answered -- by Michael Gerzon
40 years ago.

I would love to trade listening sessions with you, but unless one of us
becomes wealthy, it won't be possible.