Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Ping-pong stereo

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I don't think the insults are called for here Scott. I have just discovered
the Phase Analysis window function in Audition and am trying to learn more
of what it is useful for.

I was not being insulting, I was merely pointing out that you have some
fundamental issues going on here with regard to stereophony.

The phase meter should be described in the New Stereo Soundbook.

Have you taken into account listening in surround?

No. The phase meter is probably useful for guessing what the surround decoder
is going to do with material, but I have never used it for that because I do
not advise running stereo material though a surround matrix.

In any case, I have done
some simple experiments with the signal as seen by the phase window, and if
Tom is right about it not being a "helicopter shot" of directionality,
please tell me what you think it is.

I did in a previous posting. Please go back and read it.

I put a mono signal in the window, and it shows as a narrow straight ahead
source. I put Left and Right only signals into the window, and they show as
sharply focused L and R sources in the window. I then put a pure difference
signal in by taking the S signal from an MS recording and making it show in
the left channel as one phase and in the right channel as the opposite
phase, then putting those 100% panned over to the right and left. If you
play that through the phase analysis window it shows a very sharp
directionality straight to the rear. This is the mechanism by which DPL
decodes sounds to the surround channels. I then played some of these sounds
in surround and, as before, it does indeed decode as shown in the phase
window. I play a music track while watching the pattern on the display, and
it shows very neatly the directionality of the signal I am hearing.

This is because your playback system is not properly preserving phase, so
the only directionality that you are hearing is due to the amplitude
differences between channels. Phase differences (which cause the line to
widen into an ellipse) probably don't image properly on your playback system
so many of the other factors which play into imaging are visible on the scope
but not audible. (And when they are visible on the scope they are not merely
an angle.)

OK, now what have I left out? Are you talking stereo only in your remarks,
or have you followed what I have been saying?

I am talking only stereo, yes, and I will continue doing so.