Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default The future of "high end" audio

"Scott" wrote in message

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:51:01 AM UTC-8, ScottW wrote:

On Monday, November 25, 2013 4:38:37 PM UTC-8, Audio_Empire wrote:

But we part company when you start comparing iPod and iPod-like
devices and ear-buds favorably with a good stereo system.

Techincally speaking there are no audible techical deficiencies such as
noise and distortion in the better iPod-like devices. They measure as well
if not better than a good stereo receiver driven by a good CD player.

Headphones and earphones are a different story. It is undeniable that they
bypass room acoustics and HRTFs. While neither room acoustics nor HRTFs are
exactly accuracy-enhancing components of the listening experience, their
absence suggests the need for a period of acclimatizing that not every
listener is going to emerge from as a happy camper.

But you've said here before that your unique ear makes a std earbud a
non-option for you. Perhaps you should try one of those custom forming
buds before declaring them "unsatisfying" and implying your personal
inability extends to so many.

I wonder if the unique ear is a medical condition or a behavioral one.

Maybe such a playback is satisfying to you, but I know many
audiophilesincluding myself, that would not find these portable devices
anything more than a convenient way to carry their music with them when
they need to do so.

Something about old dogs and new tricks?

Perhaps that is where "audiophiles" have become less about sound and more
about something else. Reality is earbuds or headphones are audibly far
more capable in every measure except soundstage at a fraction of the
cost.

Agreed.

OTOH it could just be that ear buds suffer from a set of inherent
limitations that preclude them from being something that some of us would
ever consider to be high end sound. The inability to cast a sound stage
that can in any way shape or form create anything close to an illusion of
live acoustic music precludes them from ever being high end in my book. I
think it's great that we can get what we can get with portable audio these
days. But IMO it ain't high end audio.

Why the "could just be"? The major issue was conceeded explicitly: "...more
capable in every measure except soundstage..." I would add that if you wear
earphones or headphones for hours and hours they can become painful if not
well-fitted, and sweaty even if well fitted.