Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Treble in recordings

Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:
Many first generation remastered CDs had the treble that was there
cranked to make up for the higher treble that didn't exist. Which is why
many sounded harsh and glary.

Maybe.

On the other hand, there are recordings from the seventies, like Hotel
California, that were clearly made by people blasted out of their skulls
on cocaine who are massively boosting the top end.

The original 45 and the consequent LP are listenable because the top end
had to be tamed down just to cut it. But the CD reissue sounds just like
the master and is painful to hear.

They hired Szymczyk and dumped Glyn Johns because Szymczyk would do what
he was told. So... okay. Ego is a hell of a drug...

That's actually the first CD I ever bought. What I had attributed to
surface noise from the LP was actually on the master.

Sounded good on the radio, though.

Les Cargill