Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Fireport Won't Connect

On 8/15/2019 2:39 PM, Chuck wrote:
When I was a maintenance engineer for a tv studio, manufacturers
claimed that you could plug in firewire cables when the equipment was
powered up. That led to many blown firewire ports until I convinced
users that claim was bs. You could very well have a blown port.

It's not the data part of the Firewire port that blows up when
hot-plugging, it's the power part. Disk drives are usually not a
problem, but some devices have a high enough current surge when
connected to a powered Firewire port that a the powering circuitry
complains. I don't remember what the spec is, but it seems you can draw
a couple of amps (nominal) through a Firewire port, and something could
draw considerably more current than that when starting "cold."