Posted to rec.audio.pro
sTeeVee sTeeVee is offline

Default How did they create that sound on "Mercy Mercy Me"?

On Apr 3, 5:42*pm, brassplyer wrote:
On Apr 3, 4:34*pm, "Don P." wrote:

I thought it might have also been the woodblock, so I tried that, but its
pitch is higher than the ping, and it's not there in the beginning.

Wood blocks come in various pitches.

Either a conga tuned very high or a bongo - definitely something with
a head on it. If you've ever played hand percussion in a studio
environment, I think you'd agree immediately that this is a drum, and
not a wood block, temple block, cowbell or other. Another poster was
quite right - there is more than 1 Marvin Gaye with this very creative
"substution of a snare on the 2 and 4" used.

Went nuts for it when I first heard it in my late teens...like Voyage
to the Bottom of the Sea meets Motown.