Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default How did they create that sound on "Mercy Mercy Me"?

On 2011-04-03 said:
snip
(Listen?). There's 4 tracks of drums/percussion. Track 1 is the
kick, track 2 is the rest of the kit, track 3 is congas, track 4
is woodblock (with some alternate celeste in it).
Track 3 has a nice hi conga slap in it that corresponds to the
snare. Stick that thru a plate and there's your sound.

I have that, too, but I don't think the conga track is what's making
the "racquetball"/ping sound. I can hear the conga track buried
inside the final mix - the ping sounds like a discreet track, and
isn't included in the 16-track version that's going around.

Maybe because it was created on the fly at mixdown. I can
see this one easy enough.

Conga drum, slapped on beat 2 & 4 as snare. send signal to
a gate, or human act as "gate" on the console while mixing,
capture that near the rim conga hit via a nice verb, etc.
And, unless you were at the sessions you don't know if 16
was all the tracks recorded, or there weren't more g.

Just $0.02 worth from the peanut gallery here.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see
www.gatasound.com