Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Diode Question

On 3/31/2021 5:16 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Can anybody tell me what the package name is or how to order the 1N4007
in this picture? It appears to be a DO-204AL. I'm trying to find some
1N4007s in the glass package, but I haven't yet. I ordered some from
Mouser, but they are the standard DO-41 package (even though they're
glass passivated, which has nothing to do with the packaging, apparently.)

https://www.mouser.com/images/vishay...O_41_2_SPL.jpg

That's not a 1N4007. I don't think the die in a 1N4007 would fit in
a glass package.

Note that these are the larger diodes, not the 1N4148s that are
typically in this glass package.

It's silly, but I'm restoring an old amp that uses them, yadda, yadda,
yadda.

What are the diodes you have? If they are conventional diodes, just replace
them with a normal DO-41 1N4007. If they are something special (like a zener)
then you have a different issue.
--scott

I have 1N4007s in the epoxy package. I was trying to find some in the
glass package. Mouser shows them on their website as 1N4007s, but
they're not. It's just an aesthetic thing. If the die won't fit, there's
no point in me looking!

On another matter, why were the bodies of some old garden=variety diodes
round, like a ball? Was there a benefit to that shape? I don't think so.