Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

Barry B wrote:
The ADI-8 looks like a great, flexible eight channel converter.. but not an=
interface if I'm reading the literature correctly. I'd still need to a wa=
y to get its outputs into my computer. ADAT out into the Focusrite, clocke=
d by the ADI-8? Would the 18i20 pass the signals without any conversion or =
manipulation, taking advantage of the ADI-8's quality? I'm unsure how to us=
e the ADI-8 with my setup. Is its intended use to feed a digital eight tra=
ck recorder, and then mix that using hardware (a board) or using whatever i=
nterface the recorder has to get the tracks into a DAW?

Whatever interface you have, the ADI-8 will send to it. If you decide later
you want a standalone digital recorder, it will send to that too. If you
want to run everything around a workstation, you can use the focusrite or you
could use some other box. Doesn't matter. Getting the computer to talk to
lightpipe or AES/EBU or TDIF or MADI is easy and either it works or it does
not.

Once the signal is digital, it's easy. You can send it anywhere you want
and it stays the same, and if it isn't the same it's possible to measure it
and see.

The HV-3 pres look great, too. Finding two channels of them and an ADI-8, b=
oth used, for under $2k seems to be a pretty tough challenge. =20

The HV-3 preamps have been out for many many years and are sort of an
industry standard. Older ones turn up at good prices. Again, this is
a long-term investment... if you buy it today, you'll still be using it
twenty years down the road. I guarantee whatever digital interface you
are using, you won't have it in ten years, let alone twenty.

Your advice is great, as always, and so was Mike's. I think for my budget =
and skill level the 18i20 was the right choice.... cheap, gives me what I w=
as looking for (better, albeit not state of the art, mic pres, more inputs/=
channels, potentially better A/D, and a USB interface for easy portability =
in one box) for a price that will still permit me to continue to explore be=
tter, more specific gear in the near future..... for instance, if you know =
of or have some HV-3 pres for sale in good shape... ...=20

I'm frugal, as opposed to my father who was cheap. I really don't want to
spend money and if I do spend money I want it to be on something I am going
to keep using for a long time. High quality microphones and preamps are high
on that list. Plug-ins scare me because if you buy a plug-in you have to be
able to amortize the cost over a fairly short lifetime.

Thanks, Scott. Good to hear back from you, and glad you're still around, t=
oo. I miss Hank... is he still out there somewhere? =20

I think he's still at hankalrich.com. I should look him up too.