Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default Pultec EQP clone problem

On Wednesday, 3 February 2021 at 12:06:07 UTC, wrote:
gareth magennis wrote:

===================

Maybe there never was any "motorboating", this notion came from the customer in his email to the company.

** So you OP here was an entire pile of bull crap.
I never found any, despite adding caps on the output like Mike suggested.

** So what the **** were you trying to *fix* ?????

Dear Mr Magennis,

your total lack of insight & professionalism is appalling.
If I were your employer, I would hand you broom and tell you sweep the floor.

I think it is obvious I fixed an incorrect modification instruction from the company.

I felt strongly enough that this instruction was just not right, that I felt the need to post my concerns here, where I might get some vaulable insight into whether these concerns bore any weight, or perhaps I was missing something.

As usual, it turned out worthwhile.

Both Don and yourself explained the motorboating phenomenon in a system without negative feedback.
Thanks, that is valuable education indeed, and I appreciate that.

It doesn't really matter that the alleged motorboating may have turned out to be a red herring, I think we all learned something from that.
I said from the outset I was unable to recreate it, it was reported as such by the customer.

My only concern now is that I return the unit to the customer with the proper mod in place, to find it really does have a motorboating problem I can't recreate on the bench, as the mod actually seems to be a low pass filter to stop hf oscillations, not to stop a motorboating issue.