Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

Default Laptop or Desktop?

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 9:22:41 PM UTC+2, Tobiah wrote:
Space is a premium in my so called 'studio', and I've noticed there
is a lot of space being taken up between the wall and where I get to
sit. My proposal is to mount a 32-40" TV on the wall for my monitor,
and dispense with the table mounted monitor.

I know it's possible to drive a 4k TV with some video cards. If you
could get a laptop to do that, it would be a far superior choice
to a regular (1080p) TV. I'm using a 30 inch monitor now that does
2560x1600 and I really appreciate that when I start spreading out
DAW windows. 4k is 3840x2160, and the smaller sizes are getting
rather reasonable.

Tobiah

Well, an update.

My current studio PC is an ancient Core 2 Quad 8300. Looking at the fine print of i5 Laptops, they seem to be only 2 cores, unlike the Desktop 4 cores.

In my price range, the Laptop would have a 4200U or 5200U, which, ironically, has exactly the same performance rating as my current Core 2 Quad!

The laptop costs the same roughly as a Core i7 Quad Core Desktop, minus the Windows licence, which I may or may not purchase, so it looks like the only sane option is another, bulky Desktop

-A.