Adrian Tuddenham

Mike Rivers wrote:

In article ron@
lunevalleyaudio.com writes:

What is an "induction based hearing loop"?

For the benefit of the deaf or hard of hearing. Here, it`s becoming
law that all premises where the public are served must eventually be
fitted with a hearing loop for the disabled - Deaf people do go to the
cinema and theatre, and buy groceries and fuel.

But what do they send to the loop? Does the clerk pick up a microphone
and talk (through the loop) to the customer? An induction loop is
designed to work with a hearing aid. If you're a customer, I'm a sales
clerk, and we're talking over a sale, I would expect that we're close
enough so that the hearing aid would work without an induction loop.

You seem to have missed the point of recent European disability
legislation. It's no longer there to help disabled people in a logical
way, it is there to make everyone and every business demonstrate that
they are doing *something*, even if that 'something' is completely
pointless and may actually make the situation worse.

That way, there is plenty of employment for 'trained' civil servants to
come around and check that the 'something; has been done.

When everyone has finally done whatever was specified, the people who
invent and enforce the laws and run the training courses will have
nothing to do, so they will invent another raft of idiotic regulations
and the costs of being seen to do something will ratchet-up even
further.

I am all in favour of helping disabled people, but we leap-frogged over
the basic and the difficult bits of that many years ago. The whole
thing has now become an expensive form-filling exercise.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk