lex

Ron(UK) wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
In article om writes:

I tried the pickup through the pendulum preamp yesterday. I had the
sm58 and the pickup going through the preamp on the 2 separate
channels. I then monitored with headphones plugged into the preamp.

When I was listening through the headphones I got a strange buzz.
Strangely I could avoid some buzz simply by turning the guitar or
swiveling my position/facing.

This is typical of electromagnetic pickups. Where were you when you
tried this experiment? If you were near a computer, turn off the
monitor. If you were in a room with a light dimmer, turn off the
lights.

I faced north I got lots of buzz. I
faced west no buzz.??? It's too bad I have to face north to present
myself to the audience. I moved a little there or a little here I
could change the volume and amount of buzz.

snip

Earthing the strings to signal ground might help (not easy on an
acoustic guitar I know) also check for induction based hearing loops in
the restaurant.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system

Yeah, it has to be a magnetic field, nothing else makes sense. I
looked around and I can't figure out what is creating it though. There
are no cell phones near, there are the speakers of course a few feet in
front. I move away from them and the field gets even stronger so I
don't think that's it. I can't remember, but I think I turned them off
and it was still there.

There is an air conditioning system, dimmers in lights above me. If
you turn off the lights the field should be gone though, shouldn't it?
We turned off the lights and it was still there. I don't know...
Perhaps the air conditioning... I think I'll just have to come in
early some time and find a new area to play in.

I told the owners about a distributed sound system. They want to keep
what they have and perhaps do a rudimentary version. For example,
instead of an elaborate job of mounting speakers in ceiling or walls;
something where the speakers are on stands around the walls of the
restaurant. They aren't exactly rolling in dough, and the place just
opened a few months ago. They are probably paying back loans and such.
I think they would be willing to try a rudimentary system. I think
this should work, it will get the speakers away from the stage at
least. I just have to figure out where exactly, and how many speakers
they need for a good balance.

Perhaps they should hire an acoustician to survey the place and give
some advice as to placement and types of speakers.

In the meantime I'm going to do a little research of my own. Anybody
know some good sites for this?