lex

Paul Stamler wrote:
"lex" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. I remember getting something like this
with my Pendulum Preamp. Either the preamp is already designed for
this or this little adapter does the trick. So it looks like I'll be
able to use the Pendulum and not have to get a DI box.

Check it out:
http://www.pendulumaudio.com/SPS-1.html

Anyway, when I tried the pickup I just went straight into the console.
I had given up on the pickup before bringing in my pendulum preamp to
use with the mics. Someone asked about the quality of the Pendulum.
The quality is amazing. It's my favorite piece I own, more so than any
mics or other things I own. My guitar is my baby though.

My pickup is a Fishman Rare Earth. It's supposed to sound good. I
think I will try it with the Pendulum and see if that does it.

I suspect you will be astonished at how good it sounds. I think the one
Renbourn was using when I worked with him a couple of weeks ago was a
Fishman Rare Earth as well, and it's about as good as I've heard a pickup
get. The Pendulum should do a good job of terminating it.

I tried using just one mic on the guitar and one for voice yesterday.
I also flew the speakers up as far as they would go (6 ft). The brand
of the console is Crate Audio.

If the speakers are also Crate then that's another part of your problem.
Their speakers don't have particularly flat frequency responses, and the
peaks add to the feedback problem.

Peace,
Paul

I thought I'd post an update and some more solutions I stumbled upon.

I couldn't get the pickup working without lots of distortion/static
background noise. I tried it with the pendulum preamp. I knew it
couldn't be the pendulum so I examined the pickup and reread the
instructions. It says if there is distortion you should change the
battery. Thing is I've barely used the pickup so I never thought it
could be the onboard batteries. This battery is a 3V camera battery or
2 1.5V's stacked.

Well, I changed the battery and the Pickup came alive.

Lesson: Never trust the onboard battery that came with your gadget.
Your sound is only as good as the weakest link... it really rings true
right about now. Can't wait to use it now... it's sounding so great
now.