Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I tend to like to run amps with the attenuators down some so you can get a 'hot
mix' on the desk.

It depends on the mixer, and what else it's feeding, if anything,
other than a power amplifier. For example, if I'm sending the mixer
output to my Jukebox 3 for recording and also to a PA system, I don't
want to put too much signal into the Jukebox because it doesn't have
an input attenuator. So I'll set the gain so I'll have plenty of
headroom there and then make it up at the power amp. So what if the PA
has an extra 2 dB of noise that I _might_ be able to better if I ran
the mixer output hotter. I'd rather not have my recording clipped on
peaks if I can make things work satisfactorily all around.

Trying to
mix with the led ladders causing clipping when they're only 'half way up' is
nonsence.

Some mixers sound better that way. Besides, why worry about where the
meters are if they're running low? The important thing is that they
tell you that you have plenty of room in the mixer before clipping.

I'm not saying that there's one and only one right way to do it.
There's an optimum way if everything is calibrated to the same
reference level, but you rarely have that even if you own all the
equipment. All the rest of the time, you make the best compromise all
around.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )