Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Loudness Wars

(hank alrich) writes:

Tobiah wrote:

This is unrelated really, but I remember listening to LP's, and hearing
a foreshadowing of each song during the gap between songs. I realized that
the 'silent' portion of the groove was being slightly altered by the loud
part adjacent to it. You could even watch as the record spun, and the song
started at the same rotation position as the foreshadowing started.

"Pre-echo" - slight physical distortion of the groove adjacent to the
the very quiet lead-in groove.

Yup. Sat in on many LP mastering sessions and watched the struggles. As Scott can
probably detail better than me, vinyl was always a series of trade offs.

Cutter head temp too cold and you got noise. Raise temp to reduce noise you then
ran the risk "pushing" rather than cutting, which could lead to groove echo
problems, deformation of grooves if you didn't immediately get to plating, etc.

I know a lot of folks love vinyl, and it's nice that it's stimulating activety in
some quarters, but I'm glad not to have to deal with it any more.

My $0.02.

Frank
Mobile Audio