Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Loudness Wars

This is unrelated really, but I remember listening to LP's, and hearing
a foreshadowing of each song during the gap between songs. I realized that
the 'silent' portion of the groove was being slightly altered by the loud
part adjacent to it. You could even watch as the record spun, and the song
started at the same rotation position as the foreshadowing started.

On 01/23/2015 08:36 PM, JackA wrote:
While I hear a lot of "today's" music is purposely made loud, or as
the say, Brick Walled, I feel it started long ago, way back when.
After a divorce in the 80's, I began collecting vinyl records of past
(Pop) music. I'd listen to the "hit" 45 vinyl single. I'd listen to
the fade-out and always wondered why the audio became cleaner, not
always, but enough to remember. I assume, digital audio editors (I
think you may call the DAWs?) brought about current loudness wars,
since you can better control sound in a digital world than analog.

Also, I tend to think of loudness in more than one way. In other
words, many artists added instrument after instrument to create a
greater dense sound. This density I feel is a form of loudness, since
you don't have to have greater amounts of amplitude, just less quiet
spots.

Your input greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the question!

Best, Jack