Mike Rivers

In article writes:

While I'm not saying that I will definitely wind up using any final mixes
that I do through my outboard mixer, I do want the opportunity to try adding
some of those old echo chambers I have to to some of my tracks, just to see how
they sound against my plugin echoes.

You don't need an outboard mixer to do this. All you need to do is
send a track (or mix of tracks, channels on which you'd turn up the
Aux Send feeding the effect if you had a mixer) out the DAW to the
efeect, connect the effect output to a DAW input, and record it. Then
you'll have a track of the effect which you can mix in at whatever
level you choose (the funcitonal equivlaent of turning up the Effect
Return control on the mixer). It's a bit cumbersome to do this in real
time so you can hear what changes to your effect processor settings
do, but with the proper combination of monitoring controls, it's
possible on most systems.

So it breaks down to playing with real knobs, versus these fake cartoon
knobs I move with a mouse.

That, too.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )