Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Fascinating MS

"Gary Eickmeier" skrev i en meddelelse

I guess I should just record my MS in RAW

That would be the easiest.

and do as I please with it later,but I have always wondered
how I should ideally be setting my gains while recording.

So that you do not clip the recording.

Should I set both M and S knobs the same and let the signal
rise and fall where it may, or should I set them so that both
tracks are equally loud most of the time?

You omit a variable: microphone sensitivity. However with matched
microphones you should set the knobs the same and the signal in channels 1
and 2 should be the same or channel 2 (S) a few dB lower. If it is not like
that then your mic stand is likely to be incorrectly positioned or mic
directional patterns incorrectly chosen.

Would that be equivalent to setting the Zoom S signal to zero difference
from M?

Doing it.

Fascinating stuff. And yes, I have and still am reading
all about it. I would normally think that a little spacing
between mikes would add something to the stereo mix (over
the coincident techniques), but in practice so far MS has it hands down in
both accuracy and spaciousness.

It is always a compromise to record, especially to record live events where
positioning is often "where possible". But nice to hear that a compromise
within solid theory fares better than one well outside it, as your spaced
array most certainly is in the way you use it.

Just never stop learning ... because there is always more to learn

Gary

Kind regards

Peter Larsen