Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default How safe operating an amp with no fuse?

Tomi Holger Engdahl
25 jan 07:35 afficher les options

writes:
Did some experiments on the fuse of my amp... I replaced a 500mA 250v
fuse with a 1.6a 125v fuse and found the sound much improved. Then I
decided to replace the 1.6a fuse with a jumper made of a silver
paperclip, and found the sound improved much further. Then I replaced
the paper clip with silver solder, and found it improved further
(though I'm less sure about the solder being better than the clip
overall...).

I doubt that you could hear the difference of changing the fuse,
especially if you are changing the main amplifier use.

Yeah right. You and all the other queenies on this group, who've gone
to great lengths to attack me for this, because it defies your stupid
old religious beliefs. There are enough of you shouting "You are not
hearing differences, you are hearing placebos...", that you sound like
a chorus of drooling imbeciles to me. But I didn't ask for your opinion
or anyone else's on the question of whether the fuse tweak is audible
or not, did I? Unlike you and your cabal of religious audio zealots, I
have a mind of my own and a pair of ears that go with it. I can decide
for myself. Since you HAVEN'T heard the effects of this yourself, do
yourself a favor and shut your ****ing trap about things you know
nothing about, next time you offer your opinion on something to
someone. If you did ever want to learn something new and not just
repeat what you're told, it would have taken you less time to conduct
the same experiment I did and find out for yourself, than it did to
formulate your response here.

I think what you heard is caused memery by the psychological effect
that you though you were improving the device by changing the
fuse.

aka "placebo". Yeah, I get it, Einstein. You're a dumbass ****wit who
thinks the world begins and ends with the very limited amount of
information you've learned about electronics. You don't know just how
ignorant you are and how little you know about audio. Im sure you know
more about electronics, but Ive forgotten more about music reproduction
than you now know. But since you think you're smarter than the top
engineer at YBA, why don't you name the world class amp YOU designed,
so I can have a listen and compare it? Just to make it easy on you,
I'll compare it to YBAs ****tiest amplifier. If you haven't designed
anything better, then there's another reason for you to shut the ****
up about things you know nothing about.

I quess that in real life systems if changing that fuse had
any noticeable effect on the audio amplifier, that amplifier
was not well designed, and turnign other loads on your house
on/off would have more effect on the amplifier performance
than changing the fuse.

Wrong guess. I already mentioned elsewhere that I did the same fuse
substitution thing to my other amp, my cd player, etc., it all had the
same effect of improving the sound. Like I also said elsewhere in this
thread, you wanna-be engineers always rationalize things you don't
understand, because they don't follow what you think is true according
to your religious beliefs in audio (and which often, isn't). STOP
guessing and do the damn experiment for yourself, or shut up already.
"Guessing" is what people did when they tried to explain why the sky
was leaking, you blithering idiot. "Science" is what led the more
developed man to experiment, find out where the truth lies, and stop
the ****ing guessing. Why is why I will always be way ahead of the
(audio) game than you and your RAT zealots here.

It is dangerous to run equipment without fuse or wrong size fuse.
It can easily burn down your house. And if your insurance company
finds out that you intentianally replaces your fuses with
something else, they most definately will not pay any money to you.
So if this gambling you made on operating equipment without proper
fuses blows, you will need to start thinking what is to live
without your house and things inside it and no compensation for
them. And possibley killing/injuring/harming somebody else living on the
house or nearby, and getting sued because of the illegal electrical
modifications you made to your equipment that caused that fire!

But I think the important thing here is, "Jesus will forgive me". Hey,
if He can forgive a child pornographer like Arny Krueger, I'm sure he
can forgive me for wanting to improve the sound of my audio system. I'm
not worried about the insurance company paying out, since I don't have
an insurance policy. I.m not worried about getting sued, since the
lawyers would cost more than anything they could ever hope to get out
of me. I'm not worried about killing my neighbors, since I hate my
neighbors (they have a baby kid thats CONSTANTLY crying all the time -
just shutting him up for good might be worth the damage to my
property). And as for that property in question, well I'm currently
developing a "volunatry simplicity" approach, and I'm not attached to
material things any more. So maybe having my things destroyed is
exactly what I need to free myself. Spiritually speaking. And as my
dear old dad always said, "if you never gamble, you never win".

Hard to say. But there are real changes.
As you know from other electrical equipment, they will not
last forever.. usually fail within 5-20 years more or less...

Maybe todays cheap **** gear, but both these SS amps are over 25 years
old, and they don't look to be close to failing.

As I say, I've been running it a couple of hours so far
and there's been no change. As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago I had
previously removed the heatsink from the output transistors in order to
improve the sound, and there was never any overheating problem.

You stupid!

Now that's very rude of you to call me names like that. Especially when
YOU'RE the ignorant **** who pretends to be an expert on issues that
you clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about. As we shall
see below....

Heatsinks on the output transistors are there
for a very good reasons. The output transistors have considerable
power loss and get hot. If you remove the heatsinks, then the
transistors gets mugh hotter much sooner. When transistor gets
hot it's parameters change, causing first poor operation of
amplifier (worse sound easily), then starting to smell bad
(your figerprints on the cases start buring...), and then transistors
fail short... not always in this order.

I'm sorry that reality has a way of proving the theoretical world in
which you live to be WRONG you ignoramus, but you can stop blabbing
now, because nothing you've said here has turned out to be true. This
is what I try to drum into the heads of you dumbass wanna-be techies:
when you have NO real-world experience of what you're talking about,
and you just repeat by rote whatever the hell you've read in Popular
Electronics, that does not make you an expert on ANYTHING. I can tell
you without flinching that a month ago, I took out the heatsinks in
both the aforementioned preamp and amplifier (the amp had a
particularly massive heatsink, and an equally massive output transistor
array). Why? Because I thought it'd improve the sound. And it most
certainly DID. In BOTH components. So that already shoots down your
theoretical BS about "worse sound easily". I also removed a wire that
was screwed into the large output transistor array (soldered at the
other end to the underside of the circuit board). I don't know what
that was for (some sort of grounding I would presume), but I do know
that removing it from the surface of the output transistor further
improved the sound.

Next, about the heat: there WAS none. I carefully monitored the heat
output in both the amp and preamp after I took the heatsink out. There
was very little, if any, warmth coming through the grill in the casing
above the heatsink. Thats pretty much normal for this amp, it never got
hot. I played music through the amp all night to test it out, it was
fine the next day. I even touched the output transistors with my bare
fingers after leaving both components on for hours. Guess what, dumbo?
They were no hotter than warm. No "bad smell" (well, no worse than with
this stuff already smelled like!). So much for all your stupid bull****
about how they'll get "much hotter much sooner" and I will fry my amp.
The only thing you wrote that was correct here, is that the parameters
change when transistors get hotter (but NOT in the ways you predicted).
I already knew that from experiences with my Class A amp. That's why I
took out the heatsinks in the first place, genius.

Well, Tomi, I hope you've learned something here about what you don't
know about audio. And if not, then you're even stupider than I give you
credit for.

Your amplifier if you are lucky might work some time without
the heatsinks if you play at very low volume... if you use
higher volumes or play longer time, it is very propable that sooner
or later your output transistors fail! The hotter they run the
sooner they fail!

Yeah, yeah, blah blah blah... see above for why you are a presuptious
fool, and don't know what you're talking about. Ive worked this amp for
over a month without heatsink at loud volumes, day and night, never had
a problem. Im so confident it has no detrimental effect on the amp, Ive
already thrown out the heatsink. My concnlusion is that sometimes these
things are added in order to prevent failures when used in a variety of
ways, but just because theyre desinged in, does not mean they're always
needed. And ive PROVEN they can do more harm than good. Lets see one of
you crackerheads actually prove ANYTHING that youve been saying.

So sooner or later I expect that your output transistors will
fail short... this will cause quite propably a chain-reaction
that would in normal case burn your amplifier fuse...

Wrong again, chumly. If they haven't burnt out after playing loud music
for a months time, then they're simply not going to (not for reasons of
overheating, since they dont get that hot!). Surely you must tire of
being wrong all the time... The only chain reaction I see is that when
one of you posts some ignorant BS to me, it incites another to do the
same.

When you have removed the fuse, then in this case I expect you
get the smome coming out sooner or later from your autput
transistors, amplifier power transformer and/or your speakers.
And possibly flames soon after that..

The only flames I see is from the RATs on this newsgroup because I
dared say something in their presence that contradicts all of your
inane religious beliefs....

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/