Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default How safe operating an amp with no fuse?

mc wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Did some experiments on the fuse of my amp... I replaced a 500mA 250v
fuse with a 1.6a 125v fuse and found the sound much improved. Then I
decided to replace the 1.6a fuse with a jumper made of a silver
paperclip, and found the sound improved much further. Then I replaced
the paper clip with silver solder, and found it improved further
(though I'm less sure about the solder being better than the clip
overall...).

If any of these had any effect on the sound, your amplifier has some kind of
power supply defect and should be repaired.

Sorry, the only defect is in your knowledge of audio. Ive forgotten
more than you know about audio, chum, and that fuseless amp tweak I
came up with works with ANYTHING; amp, preamp, cd player, etc. But I
will contend that its not the safeest thing to go about using solder or
other substitutes for a carefully rated amp fuse.