Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default How safe operating an amp with no fuse?

GregS wrote:
In article .com, wrote:

GregS wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:

You don't know what the fusing current will be, but it will be very erratic
using a piece of solder. It is likely to be in the 10's of amps to fuse
your solder. Fusing equipment is a little bit of engineering and a little bit
of practical testing. The exact value can vary. One thing for
sure, if any damage occurs, the insurance Co. could refrain from paying
you.

There is also the ladder effect. I once was sitting down and pushed a button, and a breaker
2 miles away tripped shutting down a complete satelite tracking station.
Its quite an experiance. I pushed a button triggering a 75 HP electric motor,
which shorted, tried to trip but fused the first breaker. This went to the next
really big big breaker. Can you imagine the silence and darkness having pushed
the button. It was really bright and very noisey with racks and racks of equipment
and air handlers until pushing that button. So if you have a fusing problem, it can escalate
problems at times.

greg

Just a hearty thanks for offering a reply again with sanity, respect
and reason, instead of the usual blind ridicule and derision typical of
those faced with concepts they dont understand and know nothing about.
Although I do enjoy playing with the rabid audio techie zealots and
their quaint little notions of believing they are masters in music
reproduction to where they can't recognize the ignorance in themselves,
it is your informative words that i actually came here looking for.
You've provided me with enough information for me to make an informed
decision about whether to keep this valuable tweak or (as it looks like
I'll have to do....), chuck it.