Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Windows Media Audio Vs. MP3 Vs. WAV

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 7/1/2014 2:55 AM, geoff wrote:
I've never heard a 128kbps MP3 that I could enjoy though - even in the
car. And my ears are far to old to be considered 'golden' .

I don't "enjoy" the file, I'm entertained by the music. When I'm driving,
my mind is really on something else. As long as I'm hearing music that's
of the type I enjoy, when on the road, the lowest quality MP3 is better
than what I can get on the car radio in most places, or for very long.
There are certain forms of distortion that do indeed spoil my listening
experience, but it's things like gross clipping (not just "make it louder"
clipping" or flutter, not a slight loss of detail on the ride cymbal.

There are certain forms of music that I wouldn't enjoy even if it was
played from a high resolution WAV file. It's unfortunate that so many
people claim that lower fidelity listening spoils the joy of listening to
music.

Pretty much sums up my opinion. I enjoy, and have certainly paid for over
the years, the highest possible fidelity I can afford for critical
listening. But just as I would rather listen to cassettes in the car than
radio or nothing once upon a time, I'm now quite happy with MP3, even 128kbs
at a pinch, although there is no real reason to use that any more.

Trevor.