Tom Jancauskas

in article , Geoff@work at
wrote on 9/5/05 9:53 PM:

"Tom Jancauskas" wrote in message news:BF425B5D.AD3F%

Anyway, accordinng to him, any copy of the CD's that are made from his
masters don't sound the same to him as his main discs that the songs were
taken from. He says he hears a loss of detail and air around the recording
in the copies.

What drive is being used for the extraction ? You are sure they are being
ripped, not recorded from analogue or SPDIF, or course.... How do other
rippers work - EAC, etc.

How is he comparing the files - presumably all thru the same DA/CD player.
What is different - different media ? (= different error rate and different
degrees of error correction.) The CD copies will of course be one 'write
and read' cycle older that the master, with accumulated errors in both
directions, but I've never managed to hear a difference, except of flawed
media.

Being more devious, how about getting two files, one a copy of the other ,
label them differently and see if he hears a difference in those.

And if they may have once been MP3's what 'detail and air' anyway ?

geoff

His AIFF files were extracted using an iMac internal drive using Peak. My
extraction was using a Lite-on 5232 IDE drive through a digital data
connection from the reader to the hard drive. I didn't get a chance to try
EAC.

He was fighting me all the way in trying to figure this out. He wanted help,
but didn't want to hear what I thought some of the problems might be, as
well as the cures.

The CD comparisons were through the same DA/CD player.

He IS using different media than what the master was recorded on. I tried to
bring this to his attention, but he had his mind made up that he was going
to use the discs he had with him. I wanted to use a similar Dye formulation
that was used on the master, but he wouldn't have it.

He had his wife do a "blind test" and he could pick the original - so he
says.

Yeah, the MP3 thing has got me curious. What I can't figure out is why he
doesn't find out how & what was done to create the master CD's that he likes
in the first place.

For me at this point, I want to make sure I am not missing something. I
think this guy is going a bit overboard - but if there IS something that can
be pinpointed, it would make his day.

Thanks for the reply

--
Tom Jancauskas