Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Damper diodes as rectifiers

robert casey wrote:

Maaark wrote:

I've seen people use dampers as rectifier before, and I like the
premise.. but something confuses me.

In the datasheets for 6AU4, 6AX4, etc, they state that "use of this tube
as a power rectifier is not recommended".

Why is it not recommended? I don't see any flaws.

Not sure either, but be sure to not exceed the peak current rating. In
rectifier service, such a tube will see a big peak of current as it tops
off the B+ filter cap.

It's quite normal with silicon rectifiers for the peak current to be ~ 10 times
the average. I expect the voltage drop of thermionic diodes reduces that ratio
but I dare say these diodes weren't intended to pass such high peaks.

Graham