Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Stereophile, don't worry

Audio_Empire wrote:

I assume that most of us who post here on a regular basis are Old
Farts. Certainly, I've known of several names here for decades. I'm
more than reasonably sure that interest in high-end radio will die
out with the current over-fifty crowd. I hope I'm wrong, but interest
in good sound doesn't seem to be an interest that attracts many
youngsters. Everytime I go to a hi-fi show or event at a local hi-fi
salon, all I see is old guys. Not a healthy situation.

I pointed this out to my 15 yr old daughter. She said sure we're interested
in technical stuff - we've got our computers, pads, pods, phones, Facetime &
Skype, and above all Minecraft (just kidding, but it's true). In other
words, they are no longer impressed by the presentation, just the
information. I have no doubt they would be just as happy watching Fast &
Furious on an iPad than on Imax 3D Surround Sound.

They will buy a larger screen TV and "Home Theater in a Box" and maybe even
a 3D player, but they don't quite know how to set them up. They will put 5
twelve inch woofers in their cars to play Rap & catch girls, but they don't
care about the home system or realism, just bass output and loudness.

So what becomes of live concerts? They are more interested in Rock concerts
than real music, classical or jazz, in a good hall. The schools do still
have jazz bands and my daughter is going to strings camp again this summer,
taught by the symphony people from the LSO.

It is mainly the reproducing part they aren't interested in. When I take
pictures, I like to see them BIG, whether it is on paper or on screen. They
look at them on their phones. I just shot my daughter's recital in Hi Def
and stereo sound and offered to make one for them, but the parents there are
happy with their iPhone footage of their kid. I would rather have a CD and
hear it on my big system, they are happy with an MP3 download on their
earbuds.

I can't even teach my kid anything about all I have learned about
photography, video, and sound.

Gary Eickmeier