Posted to rec.audio.tech
ShadowTek ShadowTek is offline

Default HiFi Speakers to Computer

On 2010-02-12, Roko wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new here, and for starters I have a really noobish question:

Why exactly is it impossible to connect HiFi Speakers to a computer
(except because of the fact that they don't have a mini-jack plug
(at least mine don't) )?

I know it's possible to connect a computer to a HiFi system (by
plugging it into "Line In"/"AUX"), but I would like to be able to do it
without the Hi-Fi system, only with the speakers.

I guess what I really want to know is what kind of a 'converter' is
there inside the Hi-Fi system..?

The main value of your receiver is that it has an amplifier inside of
it, which allow you to send a respectable amount of power to the
speakers. As you may have seen before, some PC speakers *do* plug right
into the computer's audio output jack, but they aren't very good/powerful
speakers, since they aren't getting enough juice to really do anything.