Posted to rec.audio.car
surface9 surface9 is offline

Default Replacing JVC (KD-S5050) with JVC KD-R200 - simple?

I have a 2002 Mustang (no anti-theft warning system) that came to me
with the JVC KD-S5050 which works fine but it does NOT have AUX input
(for my MP3 ZEN players). I ordered the newer JVC KD-R200 which has
almost the same specs but comes with a front AUX input (also the CD
player plays mp3 format which the S5050 does not). I read both online
instruction manuals and the parts are virtually identical. The kit
will come with two little thingies called "handles", which are long
slim flat pieces of metal with holes on one end and a bend on the
other - the picture shows how you take off the front faceplate, then
the front trim, then slip these little "handles" in on either side and
then just pull out the unit.

I am hoping that all the wires (antannea and wiring harness) are long
enough to come out partially with the existing JVC and then I can just
unplug them from the existing radio and the plug them into the new
R200 and replace the unit (again using these little "handles") and
then replace the trim and the new frontplate and PRESTO, all should be
well - I HOPE. The diagrams on both PDF files look exactly the same
so that is what I am hoping. If anyone has any experience doing this,
or if any ideas come to mind that I should know about - please
advise. I haven't installed a car radio in over 40 years so maybe I
am apt to do something stupid from forgetfulness or ignorance - don't
hesitate to give me any pointers you might think about.

Help.