Kevin McMurtrie

Default "Bassiest" component 6.5-inchers for 03 Civic Si hatch

In article ,
Adam Drew wrote:

Hey, y'all.

I want to change out my front speakers. I don't want to fill up half
the hatch with a sub, so I'd like something with some decent punch.
(Those $170 BassLinks on eBay are tempting, tho...) I don't listen to
booty rap or anything like that...just rock, alternative, folk,
acoustic, etc...so clarity is important, too.

Can you guys recommend anything that'd work well with a decent headunit
(25w RMS)? I'd like to avoid installing an amp if possible. (BTW,
anybody know if there's a kit to install a double-DIN headunit in my car?)

I've already changed out the rear speakers with a pair of Alpine
Type-S's because it was so easy and they were so pathetic-looking with
their plastic baskets...the fronts aren't nearly as terrible...though
they're still not anything special.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Unless the front speaker mount has changed since the 96/97 model, you
can't get much bass there unless you reinforce the panel. I drilled a
pattern of tiny holes into the plastic then covered the back with carbon
fiber/epoxy. It's not great but at least the speaker doesn't fall out
from all the vibration.

The door area is leaky so look for speakers with lots of excursion and a
high Vas. Free-air (infinite baffle) subs would be perfect. I used to
have Kicker 6.5 inch free-air subs in there and they kicked ass. Too
bad they're discontinued.