John Richards

"Michael R. Kesti" wrote in message
John Richards wrote:

I would like to play around with an equalizer (cheap) in my home stereo

see for myself what frequency balance "appeals" to me. Whether it's the
effects of the room or the speakers, I sometimes feel that I would like a
little more "punch" (bass) and/or "bite" (mid/high) which I think can be
provided by altering the overall response. From what I understand (very
little) about equalizers, a graphic equalizer has fixed center

frequencies
that can be either increased or decreased

More accurately, the gain at those frequencies may be increased and

decreased.

- is the "Q" of the peak or dip
fixed also?

Yes, or at least I've never seen a graphic EQ with variable Q.

I'm thinking that with a parametric equalizer, I would be

able
to use much sharper peaks and dips within a narrower band of frequencies
than what I could with a graphic equalizer,

Correct, and that is one of the advantages of parameteric EQs.

but from what I've seen on

ebay,
they seem to be designed more for professional use

Correct again, and this is probably because typical consumers are ill
equipped to understand and use them.

and are commonly only

single channel device

This is because their typical application is to EQ microphones and other
single channel sources.

- they are also much more expensive than a graphic
equalizer. Any comments?

The price difference is largely due to the economies of scale and because,
being marketed to professionals, are built with more expensive components
that provide the higher quality and reliability that pros require.

| two, one and one make one."
| - The Who, Bargain

I came across an Ashly PQX-572 Parametric Stereo 7-Band Equalizer on Ebay at
a reasonable price (assuming it doesn't get bid up too much). It sounds
like it will do what I want but I have a concerns. My preamp and power amp
have RCA connectors but the Ashly Equalizer uses XLR and !/4" TRS balanced
connectors - can I just use XLR (or 1/4" TRS) to RCA adaptors without a
problem with signal level or impedance mismatches?

Thanks for the help,
John