Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default USB Midi vs audio interface MIDI

On 10/11/2016 3:53 p.m., wrote:
I have a Yamaha keyboard that I connect to the computer
using a USB cable. I appears as its own MIDI device.
I could also connect it via MIDI if I desired, going
into the audio interface that I record with.

Is there any reason to prefer one method over the other?
Are the clocks that control the audio and the MIDI tied
together in some way, or is it just the same as using the
MIDI device through the USB cable?

Thanks,

Toby

The USB stream is potentially more 'interruptible' by other USB
devices than a simple MIDI link, but the data rate is orders of
magnitude faster, so in reality probably not an issue unless you have
other things heavily using the same USB controller.

geoff