Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default How-one-generation-was-able-to-kill-the-music-industry

On 28/01/2015 12:53 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Trevor wrote:
On 22/01/2015 5:55 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Frank Stearns wrote:
The true test will be one of time. Will anyone remember this stuff 20 years from
now? Will anyone be inspired enough to go out of their way to perform it again?
Most likely not.

I predict that there _will_ be rap music that will stand the test of time,
but that most of it will disappear and never be heard again. Just like
happened to the pop music of the sixties

Yeah, no one remembers the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Rolling Stones, Beach
Boys, Monkees, Byrds etc etc. And I guess I must be imagining all those
oldies stations playing nothing else! :-)

They remember those guys. What they don't remember are Jan and Dean, the
1910 Fruitgum Company, the Fun and Games, the Standells, the Hi-Rollers,
The Mystery Trend, The Magic Mushrooms, The Electric Prunes, Paul Revere
and the Raiders, Fenwyck, The Weevils, Sam the Sham, the Royal Guardsmen,
and so forth.
--scott

So what, there are always LOTS of artists who have a hit or two and are
never heard of again. Plenty now will fill the same role. What I claim,
and you seem to disagree with (fine since it's a matter of opinion and
impossible to prove) is that there are far more artists from the sixties
and seventies who have stood the test of time, than (again IMO) will
today's artists, and that none will be remembered in the same light as
the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley etc.

And personally I'd still rather listen to Paul Revere, or the Royal
Guardsmen than most of today's rap music, actually I do! :-)
I can even get a smile out of my friends kids by playing Snoopy Vs the
Red Baron. Now if you want to talk crap from days of old, there are far
better examples IMO, although perhaps 1910's "Yummy Yummy" probably
comes very close!!

Trevor.