Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default How-one-generation-was-able-to-kill-the-music-industry

On 27/01/2015 9:23 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 27/01/2015 07:07, Trevor wrote:
On 22/01/2015 5:55 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Frank Stearns wrote:
The true test will be one of time. Will anyone remember this stuff 20
years from
now? Will anyone be inspired enough to go out of their way to perform
it again?
Most likely not.

I predict that there _will_ be rap music that will stand the test of
time,
but that most of it will disappear and never be heard again. Just like
happened to the pop music of the sixties

Yeah, no one remembers the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Rolling Stones, Beach
Boys, Monkees, Byrds etc etc. And I guess I must be imagining all those
oldies stations playing nothing else! :-)

Some of them are still playing and recording.

They are the musicians that are remembered. There were many hundreds of
live bands and many recorded bands from the '60s that aren't remembered
now.

Danny Williams, Frank Ifield, The Four Pennies, Jackie Trent and The
Spencer Davies Group all had number one hits in the '60s, but you very
rarely hear them played now, even on the Oldies stations.

And yet I'd still bet there are more acts from the sixties being played
in 20 years time than there are acts from today! There's certainly FAR
more music from the sixties and seventies still being played here than
music from the 90's and 00's. And I don't see the 10's being any
improvement myself.

Then, a bit later, there were bands like Bucks Fizz, who were famous
worldwide for a while because of one song that won a contest. The
members still perform individually, but their hits are only played
ironically.

Right, and there were some like that actually in the sixties as well,
just as there are now. But that hardly proves anything other than there
will always be some good, not so good, and bad acts.

Trevor.