Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Is flat frequency response desirable?

On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:00:22 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

I would think that an accurate loudspeaker would be one which faithfully
reproduces the waveform with which it is fed. The extent to which any
loudspeaker accomplishes that goal is a measure of its accuracy.

Something for you all to chew on for a few minutes:

Suppose we want to reproduce a piano. Sonnova's "accurate" speaker measures
perfectly at 1 meter - frequency response, phase response, loudness,
dynamics, everything razor perfect.

Now, what is the radiation pattern of this "perfect" speaker? If you
recorded the piano with a "perfect" microphone (or microphones in stereo),
then played that back through a highly directional speaker or speakers,
would it sound the same as the live piano?

What is the most "accurate" radiation pattern?

Gary Eickmeier

Of course, there is no way to keep room interaction out of the equation
(unless we measure the speaker in an anechoic chamber). But in my definition,
that would be irrelevant. The speaker would be perfectly accurate if it
reproduced the signal fed to it exactly; adding nothing, removing nothing and
changing nothing. As to the quality of the signal fed to such a speaker, or
what the room does to the sound produced by the speaker, these things are
beside the point.