Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Is flat frequency response desirable?

On Sat, 2 May 2009 14:08:40 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message ...

It isn't about realism. If it is real it sounds real. Period. Sounds
better..... sounds worse....... That is certainly in play, but realism
isn't an issue with live acoustic music. It is real.

But it is an issue with reproduced music. The goal should be realism, not
"accuracy." I know this is heretical, but we are not "doing" accuracy,
because the recorded signal is not what we are trying to reproduce. We are
trying to reproduce the original acoustic event, the "thing" that was
recorded and compressed down into two or more audio channels. Running them
through two point sources and aiming them at your face is not the answer.

Gary Eickmeier

I have to agree with you. If so-called "euphonic colorations" make a system
sound more like real music played in a real space than does a system designed
for absolute accuracy, then, I say that the euphonic system will, to any
music lover, probably sound more satisfying. Accuracy doesn't really beget
reality in audio so we must content ourselves with the illusion of reality.
Often this is at the expense of accuracy. So be it.