Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ned Carlson Ned Carlson is offline

Default Damper diodes as rectifiers

Maaark wrote:
In the datasheets for 6AU4, 6AX4, etc, they state that "use of this tube
as a power rectifier is not recommended".

Why is it not recommended? I don't see any flaws.

I'm guessing that statement was meant in the context of
power supplies of *television* power supplies. Most of the older
TV's with power transformers and rectifier tubes that I've seen
had 5U4, 5V3 or 5AU4's, probably because they warm up right away,
and cool off a lot faster, although there may have been other
considerations.

Marantz ignored that warning, BTW, and I don't recall ever hearing
about any problems relating to them in the Marantz amps that used
6AU4's.

--
Ned Carlson
SW side of Chicago, USA