Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Of $90,000 turntables, Stradivarius violins, red wine, and blindfolds

On Monday, April 21, 2014 4:02:48 PM UTC-7, KH wrote:
On 4/20/2014 6:30 AM, Scott wrote:
=20
On Saturday, April 19, 2014 7:56:51 PM UTC-7, KH wrote:

=20
On 4/19/2014 6:20 AM, Scott wrote:

=20

=20
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:39:04 AM UTC-7, news wrote:

=20

=20
The subjectivist audio press comes out with endless prose and poetry=

about
=20

=20

=20

=20
what they hear in the latest products, but it is totally meaningless=

if it
=20

=20

=20

=20
is done under sighted conditions.

=20

=20

=20

=20
No, it is not "totally" meaningless. yes it is flavored with sighted =

bias. But honestly so are your personal perceptions of your own stereo. Doe=
s that make your perceptions meaningless? You have talked about those perce=
ptions at length and have come up with some very unconventional beliefs on =
stereo playback based on those perceptions.
=20

=20

=20

=20
Not "totally", no, just meaningless if *audible* differences are your

=20

=20
only interest. I don't doubt that many, if not all, of us have used ma=

ny
=20

=20
different factors in selecting our gear, including it's looks. But I

=20

=20
don't need a reviewer to wax poetic about how the gear looks, I need

=20

=20
only see a picture for that. I can research the manufacturer, and

=20

=20
obviously I can see the price, so the sound is really the only other

=20

=20
criterion of interest, and a subjective, sighted-only review won't

=20

=20
reliably provide that information. So..."essentially meaningless".

=20

=20

=20

=20
That's just wrong. The actual sound of the gear is an actual factor in =

a person's perceptions of what they hear. Even under sited conditions. Ther=
e is this thing called gray between the black and the white.
=20

=20
No, you're conflating "perception", inclusive of bias, with *audible*.=20
=20
If you put the same component in two different boxes, one may well be=20
=20
preferred over the other, sighted, but it will have zero to do with=20
=20
*audibility*.
=20
=20
=20

I am not conflating anything. If you put two different components that are =
known to sound different in those same boxes the sound difference will also=
affect preference. Once again you gravitate towards the black and white an=
d ignore the gray in between. We actually do hear things under sighted cond=
itions and what we actually hear also affects what we think we hear. Bias h=
ardly makes up 100% of our perceptions.=20