Big Craigie

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
EADGBE wrote:
market herself with.

The problem is that this girl has NO control over her dynamics. When
she sings softly or at a moderate level, I can record her fine, with a
nice clean signal and good presence. But the problem is that this girl
rarely STAYS at that moderate level. She likes to get EXTREMELY
dramatic with her singing, especially on the higher notes, where she
just BELTS it out, easily overloading my mic and preamp! She seems to
think that in order to reach ANY high note, you have to fill your lungs
to capacity and let your voice fly out with enough volume and force to
flatten Hiroshima! I'm not kidding--this girl is L-O-U-D.

1. RE-20. Keep it at a good distance. Keep the levels down so it never
overloads. If you have to use a pad on the mike, use it.

2. MAYBE consider using two mikes, one close and one far, which allows
you to switch between the two.

I remember an interview with Tony Visconti and he said that is exactly what
he did with David Bowie when he was recording Heroes. A close up mike for
the intimate stuff but mikes progressivley set back, gated to open as Bowie
got louder and so on. Either that or just give the wee ****e a slap

Big Craigie