Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Speakers That Sound Like Music

"Scott" wrote in message
On Aug 30, 5:37 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Audio Empire" wrote in message

Here we are in complete agreement. Why go to hear "live musicians" when
all
you are listening to is a set of PA speakers. If I want to listen to
speakers, I'll stay home where my listening chain (amps, speakers) is
far
better than those of even the most elaborate of public address systems.
have attended so-called live concerts where I've turned around and left
because I saw a bevy of microphones on stage and stacks of speakers near
by.
And you're right, it's only a matter of time before the PA craze hits
symphony orchestras too. In fact is some locals, it probably already
has.
Bah!

Good point. Someone took me to a concert of *name* artists. The alleged
concert was composed of live segements, karoke segments and video
segments.
In no case was the sound or video as good as my home stereo which is
itself
not elaborate.

Was this a classical concert?

No.

If not then this is nothing new. Rock and pop concerts have suffered from
bad sounding PAs since the

beginning of the genres.

Since open mics are part and parcel of a sound reinforcment system, it is
impossible for them to sound as good as a comparable reproduction-only
system.

However, it is possible for a large scale reproduction system to sound very
good. One benchmark is the ability to play a recording of a performance in a
way that is roughly indistinguishable from the actual performance. This can
be accomplished.

Fans don't go to these concerts to hear better sound. They go to *see*
the artists, who are often celebrities,
in the flesh perform what will hopefully be a unique live experience.

Perhaps so. I am reminded of my favorite sport: NASCAR. If you want to watch
the race and see the most details, watch NASCAR on TV. If you want to
experience the excitement and color of NASCAR, go to the race! If you want
to watch the performance and see and hear the most details - play a
well-made AV presentation at home with a good AV system. If you want to
experience the excitement and color of the performance and the crowd: go to
the concert.

It's a lot different than the live classical music experience. Well,
not including concerts at The Hollywood Bowl or other such venues.

My classical concert going expereinces involved venues such as used by
symphony orchestras in Chicago, Detroit, and NYC.