Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Speakers That Sound Like Music

On Aug 28, 4:03=A0pm, Audio Empire wrote:
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 09:03:41 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

On Aug 28, 7:03am, Robert Peirce wrote:
In article ,

cjt wrote:
Anybody with $100K for speakers should spend that money attending liv=

performances. That would support the music, which buying the speakers
does not.

I used to attend live jazz concerts. Then they started to amp them up.
The sound at home became better than the sound in the hall. What reall=

irritated me was the hall was fairly small and didn't need any
amplification.

I've had similar experiences with musicals so I stopped going.

So far classical music seems to have remained unamplified but I think =

it
is only a matter of time.

I wouldn't worry so much about classical music being amplified. There
has been a wonderful movement in modern concert hall design and in the
past 10 years there have been a substantial number of new concert
halls all over the world that offer new levels of excellence in
acoustics.

I don't think that matters. I've been in wonderful sounding venues that
absolutely had no NEED for sound reinforcement, but used it anyway becaus=

"it was there" (with pop and rock, with their electronic instruments it's
essential because much of what they do doesn't exist in real space).

it isn't there in any of the Halls I mentioned. And there is pretty
much no chance of it being there anytime in the future.

Because most modern pop recordings that one buys are acoustically, horrib=

ly
compressed, it is assumed that what the listener wants to hear is music t=

hat
has no dynamic range and is the same level (loud) all the time. So to mak=

the "live" event sound more like a recording concert =A0organizers and
performers insist on gain riding sound reinforcement.

How on earth is this going to affect the classical concert going
audiences?

I once attended a concert by a jazz quartet that was NOT amplified. As we
were leaving I heard some young attendee remark to his companion, "It was=

good concert, but I wished it had been louder. Why didn't they use sound
reinforcement". IOW, this youngster EXPECTED it and was disappointed that=

it
was not employed.

Clearly it wasn't at Disney Hall. And that is part of the point. These
state of the art facilities are the perfect cure for any demands for
sound reinforcement. Not that I see many classical concert goers
making such demands.