Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Speakers That Sound Like Music

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:03:38 -0700, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
cjt wrote:

Anybody with $100K for speakers should spend that money attending live
performances. That would support the music, which buying the speakers
does not.

I used to attend live jazz concerts. Then they started to amp them up.
The sound at home became better than the sound in the hall. What really
irritated me was the hall was fairly small and didn't need any
amplification.

I've had similar experiences with musicals so I stopped going.

So far classical music seems to have remained unamplified but I think it
is only a matter of time.

Here we are in complete agreement. Why go to hear "live musicians" when all
you are listening to is a set of PA speakers. If I want to listen to
speakers, I'll stay home where my listening chain (amps, speakers) is far
better than those of even the most elaborate of public address systems. I
have attended so-called live concerts where I've turned around and left
because I saw a bevy of microphones on stage and stacks of speakers near by.
And you're right, it's only a matter of time before the PA craze hits
symphony orchestras too. In fact is some locals, it probably already has.
Bah!