Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default WAY, WAY off the topic question regarding turntables.....

My first MM turntable (which happen to be my first turntable ever, I NEVER
owned one of those cheapo ceramic cartridge type, you know the type kids and
schools owned in the 60-70's') was a VERY old BIC (remember them) I recieved
obviously secondhand from an uncle. It had an Audio Technica Cartridge but
no stylus so I bought one and was immediately impressed at the sound
quality. Now keep in mind, this is about 8 years before Cd's made their
introduction. Now I had a pretty decent tape teck in a Technics single well
with Dolby B,C, Metal,Cro2, and normal bias controls, as well as the
short-lived DBX capability that actually worked quite well (this was also
the days prior to every moderate priced cassette deck being a dual well). I
also had an Akai reel-to-reel. But I will NEVER forget the first time I
heard a good LP on that BIC with the new Technics Stylus, It absolutely took
my breath away. I didn't know my stereo could sound so good. I used the
BIC for about 4-5 years and then upgraded to the turntable I actually still
own today, the the Technics SL-B. Frankly, although the BIC did a more than
adequate job and I really noticed no sonic differences (the BIC was a
high-end model and sold for $200 back in 1973) between the two, the much
older BIC just plain LOOKED OLD FASHION. I mean it was that black plastic
everything was made of back in the early 70's. It also did not have the
strobe dots on the platter, or of course the strobe light and adjustable
pitch that I always just thought looked SO FRIKKIN' COOL and high-tech (give
me a break, I'm only 13 then). I simply wanted a turntable that LOOKED as
modern as the rest of my system (every other component was brushed
aluminum), so I saved my pennies and bought the new SL-B2 with Audio
Technica cardridge included. What I DID notice was how much more solid the
technics felt. Like I said before, EVEN 30 years later it is still built
like a TANK, not ONE SINGLE loose part. A real testament to how well
Technics turntables are built because this one went to college with me and
survived COUNTLESS moves as a young man.

Yet today, you would swear it's new except for a scratch or two on the
dustcover. It actually was the admiration of it's construction that had a
lot to do (as well as wanting to hear some of my old vinyl) with this
project. I was really surprised that after a dozen+ moves and so on, it
seemed to be in as good a shape as when it was purchased.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "MOSFET"

wrote:
I know, this is totally the wrong forum, but as I know so many of you and
how helpful most all of you are, I thought, "What the heck?" before I

post
the same question on home audio and audiophile sites, give my old

stomping
grounds a try. So here goes....

I have an old Technics SL-B2 turntable that is in perfect shape and works
perfectly as well. I have had it for many, many years. However, it has
been relagated to a box that is kept in my attic or garage for the last

25
years. I still have my record collection going back to 1978 when I
purchased my first LP, and I accumulated records at a pretty good clip
(perhaps 2 a week) until, I would say, 1988, when EVERYTHING was switched

CD's. Even the EP's that were the last hold-out of recordings not found

on
CD, but only on vinyl, really disappeared by 1992. By '91-'93, except

for
an extremelly small niche market of audiophiles (who to THIS DAY will

claim
that LP's still sound better than CD's given very HIGH quality

recordings,
EXPERT mastering techniques, and EXCEPTIONAL equipment used in playback).
Besides Audiophiles, DJ's continue to this day to use vinyl in clubs as
mxing one song to the next is MUCH easier than with CD's (though advances

in
DJ oriented CD mixing gear with controls like BPM synchrnozation has

leveled
the playing field). However, besides those two groups, NOBODY BUYS vinyl
anymore.

Anyway, I have about 400-500 LP's I was flipping through the other day

and
felt nostalgic and wanted to hear some of this old stuff. However, my
turntable is just missing a headshell and cartride (stylus too, of

course).
I gave it to someone (the headshell and cartride) about 10 years ago as I
thought I would NEVER want to use the turntable again, I nearly threw it

out
(well, I was going to give it to the Salvation Army, same diff.)!!!!!

I have already ordered the headshell and it should be here tommorrow or

the
next day.

My question is about what would give me the best bang for my buck in

terms
of cartridges (with stylus, of course). I definately want to buy new as

you
NEVER know how many hours a used needle may have seen. I am NOT an
audiophile NUT when it comes to my home gear (OK, a little bit) and my

I would imagine you could tell with a microscope. Not a bad
idea looking at anything you buy, new or used. My first thought
for a new one is Audio Technica. Seems my last and best cartridge
was of that company. It was also a moving coil, but
a high output one.

Lets get back in time. My first turntable, aside from that
kiddie box, was a Gerrard AT-60. I still remember the model!
Cartridge was I think an Empire 880P, billed as the worlds
finest cartridge. Was was too compliant for the Gerrard.
Next was an AR turntable with a Pickering cartridge.
I never really like the Pikering but I went through a couple models.
Oh that one with the brush! Then was a ADC or BSR direct
drive and a Shure Type III. Of the turntable made out
of composite was horrible as it picked up LF room sounds and
FEEDBACK !! Then off to a Sony which was a lot better, but
I didn't have luck much luck with direct drives and feedback.
I then aquired a Dual model with that Audio Technica cartridge.
I bought it used from a doctor. I then bought a used Thorens
and used the Shure on it. Later someone gave me an SME
arm but never installed it. All I have left is
the Dual and AT cartridge installed, with the bad speed control belt.
Got the old AR along with a Pioneer of my brothers. I'm never going to
fool with the AR and the probably not the Pioneer. I want
to see if I can work the Dual, maybe sometime. I have records,
not too many.

I was always too cheap to buy many records or CD's.
Last record I bought was Appetite for Destruction. One
of the first records I bought, other than those kidde records,
was from Blue Cheer. I also used to get those sound effect
records and like to make like a train going through
the basement.

My favorite bands who also influenced me the most early on,
Led Zepplin, Santana, Iron Butterfly,Neil Young, Doors, Jimi H, Chamber

Brothers,
Sly Stone, and I forget the rest of my personal top 10.
I was always more into music than songs.

Wow I just listened to Love peace & Happiness and Time has come
today on You Tube.

One song that I have turn turn up to the max and start to dance.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dslP59PrSVY

I always liked influencing others with my music by playing it loud.
Of course, everybody likes my music !! Seems like I was
always the one with the sound system for parties, etc.

I always like making speakers, even though early on I didn't
know much. My first home speakers I made out of 12 inch Utah
drivers and gold colored horns bought at Olsen's.
In the military I used my Allied receiver driving home made
garbage can speakers in back of the clothing cabinets,
in the barracks. Basically a stealth system. They cranked
pretty good.

Car audio, my HU broke in the truck about 3 years ago and I
have nothing right now. I had to fix it once before after buying
a $55 maintenence manual for the $450 Pioneer. I need
to remove that system. Maybe I'll try to fix it one day.
I got a stock Cavalier system.

I'm starting to feel old. I turned 60.

greg